On 21st and 22nd April, 1983, Brian May was joined at Record Plant Recording Studios, Los Angeles, California, U.S.A. by his friends Eddie Van Halen (guitar), Alan Gratzer (drums), Phil Chen (bass), and Fred Mandel (keyboards).
The output of the two days’ sessions was captured on a 3-track mini album and released on October 31st, 1983, titled Brian May + Friends: Star Fleet Project.
Now celebrating its 40th anniversary, Star Fleet Project will be given the full reissue treatment as part of Brian’s ongoing Gold Series. Brian and his studio team, Justin Shirley-Smith & Kris Fredriksson, have created a completely new 2023 mix of the sessions from the original multi-track master tapes, and the artwork has been completely digitally recreated from the original 1983 source material, to give fans the very best experience at the highest possible quality.
In addition to the new 2023 mixes of the 3-track mini-album, the 40th Anniversary reissue presents a second CD chock full of previously unreleased session recordings, as well as two radio interviews, and two live tracks, giving fans 135 minutes of audio.
Star Fleet Sessions will be presented in a physical-exclusive 2CD+LP+7” Deluxe Edition Box Set.
The 2CD+LP+7” Star Fleet Sessions Deluxe Edition is comprised of:
- CD1 Star Fleet Project & Beyond: 2023 mixes of Star Fleet Project + Cynthia Fox interview + Rockline radio interview + Let Me Out & We Will Rock You live in Los Angeles.
- CD2 The Complete Sessions: all of the previously unreleased studio sessions.
- LP: 2023 mix of Star Fleet Project on 180g red colour vinyl
- 7”: exclusive single featuring “Star Fleet (edited single version)” on Side A, and “Son Of Star Fleet” on Side B.
- Exclusive Star Fleet Project enamel badge
- 32-page colour booklet featuring original artwork and lyrics.